Donations

Thank you to all that have donated and offered to help. If you still are interested in donating to help Mike's family- Lisa and Gracie, you can contact any Chase Branch.

Chase Branch Locator

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

04-30 Devotional for Mike By Gloria Barotta (Aunt Glo)

Promise of Peace

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This is a verse that has a lot of meaning for me. Our Community Bible Study Leader’s Council had a Christmas tradition. We drew names and prayed for a verse for Christmas for that person. We wrote the verse, along with any insights God gave us as to why we were led to that verse, in a Christmas card. One year a very dear sister in Christ, Ronna drew my name. This is the verse God gave her for me. I clung to this verse throughout the year as I went through some difficult times with my business as a result of 9/11 and some personal strife. It was a dark time in my life, but looking back, it was also a time of great spiritual growth. I am now thankful for God did in my heart during those few years. I am forever changed (in a good way). Looking back I see that before God could use me as a Bible teacher, He had to break me so I would put myself aside (maybe we’ll talk about broken vessels soon).

So I share this promise today because I really believe it! I’ve experienced this peace in the midst of trouble, so I feel confident in telling you all that Jesus really does give us peace. But we must rest IN HIM! We cannot have peace apart from Jesus. When we focus our mind and hearts on HIM instead of ourselves, we are at peace.

The second promise in this verse is that we WILL have trouble. Not might. Not sorta could. Not maybe. He tells us we WILL have trouble. We are always surprised when bad things happen. But Jesus isn’t. We live in a fallen world. Our world is full of trouble. And when trouble finds us we realize just how badly this world needs redemption. It brings us to our knees crying, “come Lord Jesus! Please don’t tarry!”

The best part is He is prepared for our troubles! As we flounder in a sea of uncertainty, He says, “take heart! I have overcome the world.” Notice how our troubles are in the future and how He has already overcome the world. His work on the cross redeemed humanity AND the world.

Pray with me that, in the midst of trouble, Lisa and her family can cling to this promise—that in Jesus we will have peace—and, best of all, that Jesus has overcome the world. His victory over death means victory over the evil in our world and in the hearts of man.

“Jesus, just reading this verse brings back memories of trials and trouble. But it also reminds me of the peace you give us. That blessed assurance that, even when all seems lost and out of balance, that you have overcome all that is evil. We look forward to the day when you rule and reign over the earth. When all that is evil is cast into a pit. When we will live 10,000 years bright shining as the sun. Until then, we pray that we will cling to the promises of your word, that we would not be discouraged. That we would know that you are with us wherever we go until the end of the age. Amen.

No comments:

MIKE IS MISSING PLEASE HELP US FIND HIM

My brother in law, Michael Edwards, had taken a job assignment with Trustaff, a traveling nurse agency out of Cincinnati, OH in late March. He arrived for his first placement in Ridgecrest, CA Thursday April 10th from McKinney, Tx. When he arrived, he checked into the apartment they had arranged for him to live in. He was getting all of his paperwork together in hopes of beginning work at Ridgecrest Hospital by April 15th. On Sunday April 13th, he had called his wife and young daughter (8yrs) to check in and recap his plans. He was going to run a few errands to get ready for his trip to the Board of Nurses for his California Certifications. Then he planned to get some rest and then leave around 2:30 AM for Sacramento. That call was made at 1:47pm on Sunday California time. He had talked to his neighbor and reiterated his plans to her as he was checking a map. He did use his charge card at Walmart and stopped to withdraw $100 from the Bank of America ATM at 2:56pm. He also got about $43.00 in gas. That was the last phone call he made on his cell phone and the last charges/debits he made from any card.

We filed a missing person's report with the Kern County Sheriff's office.

Stephanie Pesano